We are currently building the agenda and confirming new speakers – SIGN UP HERE to stay in touch with the developing program. If you would like to suggest a speaker, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
WEDNESDAY 9 NOVEMBER
Welcome and introduction to the day
Promoting UK attractiveness on the global stage to support place economies across the country
Responding to the de Bois Report – Restructuring destination marketing models to improve place stakeholder partnerships at a local level and embed tourism in place economies
- Creating a more sustainable national structure for tourism growth
Panel: Evolving place management and marketing structures to build an effective place brand strategy
Panel discussion focusing on how destination marketing organisations, business improvement districts, and economic development teams are evolving their funding, structure, and purpose – and the way they collaborate together – to be more effective
Re-imagining tourism’s contribution to Cornwall’s place economy
- Working with all place stakeholders to agree priorities and a vision for destination management and the contribution of tourism
- Being clear on your values and building these into your destination marketing
- Focusing on tourism for good – and providing ways for everyone to connect to this
Global and local – understanding your place in the world by focusing on what makes you special
- How should places in the UK respond to global issues?
- How rooting a response to global challenges in your unique assets and place strategy can engage your citizens and your private sector partners
This session will set the challenge and invite you to join the debate
Regenerative & sustainable place economies: delivering on the vision
As places face up to the combined challenges of COVID repercussions, the cost-of-living crisis, and climate change, how can they deliver on a vision for more sustainable place and tourism economies?
- Creating an organisational focus of consciously integrating responsible, sustainable thinking across all activities
- Breaking down the challenge of sustainability to identify actionable strategies
- How to engage stakeholders in the journey
- How to engage visitors
Re-imagining and re-mixing urban space and place to attract visitors and investors
- How Salford transformed a derelict space by the quay into a thriving hub for the community
- Leveraging events and private sector partners to encourage relocation, visitation, and investment
Creating long-term resilience through mixed-use development
Sheffield: a new approach to using place branding for student and talent attraction
- Working with your universities and education sector to develop a unified story for the student market
- Focusing on student attraction and talent retention
Purposeful collaboration to drive your place economy
- How Visit Exeter and the local BID, InExeter, launched a new collaborative partnership to put the city on the map
- Aligning the key stakeholders in your city around a common vision
- What it takes to make a collaborative partnership successful and how you measure the impact
Balancing the visitor economy with the needs of local residents
- How can destinations best support local residents?
- How can visitor economy assets be leveraged for the benefit of the local community?
- How can destinations sell a lifestyle to potential investors and businesses interested in relocating?
Round table discussions
Join a small group of fellow delegates for a Chatham-house discussion on the topic of your choosing.
- Using visuals, community & creators to market on a budget, hosted by Hannah Grant Director of Demand Generation & Growth, CrowdRiff
- Unlocking funding to achieve your objectives, hosted by Deirdre Wells, Chief Executive & Hollie Coffey, Destination Development Director, Go To Places
- How uncovering your place story is the route to widening leadership, activating collaboration and delivering place led investment, hosted by John Till, Director, thinkingplace
- Building a community-centered destination sustainability initiative, hosted by Richard Veal, Managing Director, Simpleview Europe
- Setting strategic goals and measuring success in place branding, hosted by Steven Thomson, Insight Director, and Konrad Jagodzinski, Place Branding Director, Brand Finance
Refreshments, break, one-to-one meetings
[UK delegates join the Global conference for an international perspective]
Understanding the global talent crisis and how your place brand strategy can respond effectively
At a national, regional, and city level
Strengthening your place brand through place-to-place and regional collaboration
Learn from case studies of country to country, city to city, and place to place collaboration from around the world
Case study: Brixton & Harlem
How these two districts, one in London and one in New York, are making a twinning relationship work to address mutual challenges and drive economic development
Using events as a launchpad for your future ambitions
The Dubai 2020 Expo overcame the challenges of the pandemic and provided a soft power boost to Dubai’s reputation on the world stage. But what comes next?
- Why the Expo is a key part of Dubai’s urban development plan and what this means for the city’s future ambitions
- How the Expo’s legacy will lie in the success of delivering growth in innovation and entrepreneurship
- What lessons have been learned that can be applied to the hosting of international events
The World’s Best Cities
Just before our networking drinks reception, hear which cities have performed well in the annual World’s Best Cities ranking – what makes cities the best places to live, work, and play?
Networking drinks reception
Sponsored by World’s Best Cities, Resonance Consultancy
An error occurred trying to play the stream. Please reload the page and try again.Close